Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Readings for 9-20 - 9-24

Mac OS X
Although I have briefly used Mac computers in the past, I know relatively little about what the Mac OS X is. I think I have a basic understanding that it is a computer network design that differs from Windows and Linux. This reading presented me with a number of obstacles, especially since I am not technologically sound. Many of the acronyms were very new to my understanding (ex. APSL - Apple Public Source License, HFS - Hierarchical File System, etc.) Reading through this document took a long time for me and I am still very fuzzy about many of its ideas. I also understand that this program only accepts Apple applications. I guess this makes sense since the program is specifically designed for Mac computers.

LINUX
This article was on the operating system called Linux. It was very helpful in explaining the origins of the current Linux program. It started with the advent of UNIX and gradually transformed into Linux after the computer science student, Linus Torvalds, starting asking questions about setting up a freely available academic version of UNIX. One of the really nice things about the Linux software is that it is free, which in today's economic world, is a huge benefit. The other interesting aspect about Linux is that it is adaptable to things such as wristwatches. Of course, the largest negative for me would be that it is not very user friendly.

WINDOWS
I am most used to and most comfortable with the Windows operating system. Apparently, the majority of people with operating systems are as well, as this letter explains. Mr. Veghte states in the letter that Microsoft will continue to support Windows XP until 2014. He also states that Microsoft is working very hard to make Windows Vista better and more easy to use as well. Finally, Windows 7 has become available since January of 2010, but there are not many different changes to it. This letter, I believe, was full of a lot of "fluff" in order to show Windows users that the Microsoft Company was at least aware of their concerns. I agree with the very last statement by the person who made this letter available, there is not much new going on.

4 comments:

  1. Ryan,
    My reactions to these readings are similar to yours. The Linux article was probably the most useful to me, because I knew absolutely nothing about Linux prior to reading this! For my computer needs thus far, I'm satisfied with using my Mac at home and Windows on the computers at school! I can't see myself needing to try out Linux either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Considering that I am a novice to the Mac and Linux systems, I agree that many of the terms used in the Mac article were confusing. I have heard of Linux before reading the article, although I was not familiar with many of the terms used in the Linux article. I have only used a Mac computer approximately two or three times in my life, and I have only used the Linux software once. Even though I am not as familiar with Mac OS X and Linux as I am with Windows, I believe that these articles were useful in describing the basic components and operations of the two systems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan,
    Being a Mac user my entire life, it can be very difficult to under the terminology that Apple uses. The system is a lot more complicated than Windows. It is true that Macs only use Mac applications, and if you are a gamer then this operating system may not be for you. Mac does provide a lot services for people who are interested in the artistic fields i.e. photography, cinema, and website building. iLife is a great software tool if you ever get the chance to use it.

    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB966Z/A/iLife-09?fnode=MTY1NDA5Mw&mco=MTQ1NDI1NjI

    ReplyDelete
  4. I respectfully disagree with you about Windows. I applaud any company that addresses customer concerns the way Windows did in that letter. There are too many companies that simply don't care about their customers and do not make an honest effort to address compaints. Comcast is one example of this kind of company. I can't tell you how many times I've had to call Comcast and complain because my cable or internet wasn't functioning properly. Most of the time, I get a customer service rep. that is rude and doesn't know what they're talking about. Not once have I ever gotten an apology letter or anything of that nature. So I applaud Bill Veghe for at least making an honest effort to address customer concerns. For me, a little effort goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete